Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing Seven

Our library uses e-mail for communication from the main service center to all of the individual libraries. It is much quicker to send out one agenda to all libraries at once for example. We can quickly ask questions from staff working elsewhere, without making a phone call. Much quicker! I think e-mail has improved the communication between libraries and the service center. We here at Dassel have set up our e-mail to separate incoming mail into two places. One is for e-mails from Pioneerland staff only and the other is just general incoming mail. Separating the staff from other mail makes checking new mail quicker. As for the online reference using the web, I don't want to be a 'stick in the mud' but I don't see the need for that at our little library. We only have 1 person working at a time with limited hours. I think it would be a great tool for larger libraries to reach the younger patrons. It would be fun to use it. I don't use IM or text messaging. My kids do all the time! I am not against it, I just don't have a need to use it. I chose WorldCat Basics from MINITEX, but was not able to login. This would be a great tool to reach busy people. It might be a bit stressful for beginners though. I was able to login to MINITEX's WorldCat Basics. It was very interesting. I liked the sound of the presenter's soft voice. Sometimes it was confusing where we were going as I couldn't see what the cursor was pointing to. Also, I wish one could pause to take notes. When I paused, the play again, I ended up starting over. But I think webinars are a good thing!

No comments: